Why Chiropractic Is Important In Athletics
It is estimated that close to 90% of athletes use chiropractic care to perform at their peak, to fight off injuries and to recover quicker from injuries sustained. Some would be surprised to know that every team in the National Football League uses a chiropractor. Many athletes including, Tom Brady, Tiger Woods, Aaron Rodgers, John Stockton, and Gerald Wilkins have often given chiropractic credit for improving their game and keeping them healthy. Dr. Simmonds specializes in the art of extremity adjusting. He has interned and taught seminars with some of the top extremity chiropractors in the world. When people think of chiropractic, they usually think of adjustment to the spine/back. Adjustments to the feet, knees, elbows, wrists, shoulders etc. can help so many of the injuries suffered by athletes.
How Can Chiropractic Benefit The Athlete?
So why are countless teams and athletes using chiropractic care? Here are a couple of ways that chiropractic can help the athlete:
- Chiropractic can undo the punishment the body sustains during activity – In all types of sports and activity the body takes a beating. Bones can be knocked out of alignment while we are engaged in physical activity. Chiropractic helps to correct the misalignments from sports and physical activity. Regular chiropractic visits keep the spine and other joints in line, the body firing on all cylinders and the athlete in the game.
- Decrease pain – Misalignments in the spine and extremities cause pain, increased stress on joints, altered biomechanics and predispose the body to more serious injury. Through specific adjustments, chiropractic care has proven to be consistently better than other medical interventions at reducing back pain and restoring normal function.
- Injury prevention and peak performance – Studies have shown that athletes who utilize chiropractic have less injury and better performance. Also, a joint that is out of alignment is predisposed to injury. Many series injuries in sports are a result of altered biomechanics from misalignments in the joints.
- Treatment of a variety of sports related injuries – chiropractors are traditionally known to treat the spine, but chiropractors can also fix misalignments of the extremities! Ankle, shoulder, wrist, elbow and knee injuries are just a few of the injuries that chiropractic can help with. Chiropractors are trained to properly align joints which will allow the body to heal quicker and more completely.
- Chiropractic provides non-invasive drug free treatment – Chiropractic is a non-invasive treatment. Chiropractors can restore natural position and alignment of a joint without surgery. This allows for the quickest recovery time. Chiropractic also offers a drug free approach to healing by helping the body heal itself and not relying on drugs or medicine.